Supporting Online Learning
The Ministry of Education has developed a website called Open School BC-Keep Learning which includes suggestions for parents and caregivers to keep their children learning at home during the COVID-19 pandemic. The site offers a collection of resources including:
- Learning From Home
- Everyday Learning Activites
- Keeping Healthy
Click here: Open School BC – Keep Learning
Safer Schools Together are providing a unique opportunity for parents and students to access COMPLIMENTARY remote training sessions and valuable resources during COVID-19. We will update as opportunities arise.
In addition to the great resources found on the Ministry of Education’s Keep Learning website, for those of you looking for more tips for supporting your kids at home with online learning, please see the following resources from Common Sense Media, a trusted nonprofit based in the US focused on supporting the responsible use of digital media and tech:
Click here to view a recorded April 17th live webinar Google Classroom: A Guide for Parents. Join the EdTeachTeam for a look at Google Classroom from a parent perspective.
Looking for resources to help your kids learn about digital citizenship while at home? Please click here.
Help Kids Learn about COVID-19-Many youth across B.C. are curious and anxious about the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. One way to help alleviate concerns and empower young people is to provide trusted information and the opportunity to learn about our shared circumstances. To support parents, caregivers and educators in teaching young people about COVID-19, we’ve created a series of individual and group learning resources and activities here.
Healthy at Home
DASH – Dedicated Action for School Health is a not-for-profit society committed to promoting, supporting and facilitating the creation of healthy school communities in BC. DASH resources are found here.
POPARD Family-School Liaison presents: Supporting learning and social-emotional needs at home during COVID: Interactive sessions for parents (May 14, 19 & 21)
- Thursday, May 14th, 4-5pm: “Tips on Supporting Organization and Motiviation for Learning for Children/Youth with ASD (Online)”
- Tuesday, May 19th, 12-1pm: “Supporting Social Connection during COVID-19 for Children/Youth with ASD(Online)”
- Thursday, May 21st, 4-5pm: “Supporting Social Connection during COVID-19 for Children/Youth with ASD(Online)”
Mental Health Resources
General Mental Health
- COVID-19 : Stay Well in Uncertain Times – resources from the Canadian Mental Health Association
- Mental health and coping with COVID-19
- Talking with children about COVID-19
- Foundry offers free, confidential virtual drop-in counselling sessions by voice, video and chat to BC’s young people ages 12-24 and their care-givers. No referral or assessment is required.
- Wellness Together Canada-Wellness Together Canada provides an online portal that allows Canadians to access self-assessments, self-directed e-mental health tools, peer support and live counselling by telephone, video and text.
- Parenting during COVID-19– A recorded parent meeting with Whistler local clinical counsellor Greg MacDonnell to provide education and discussion for parents during COVID-19
- Kelty’s Key – offers online therapy and self-help resources
- Family Smart – Squamish’s Parent in Residence who can provide support can be reached at Trudie.Neubert@familysmart.ca
- Mental Health Foundations – offers some good resources and videos for parents and caregivers
- WE (of We Day fame) – offers a number of free resources to help parents and youth nurture their well-being and the well-being others in difficult times
Mood & Anxiety
- Bounce Back – a Canadian Mental Health on-line skill building program for adults and youth (15+) to manage mood and anxiety.
- Anxiety Canada – offers information and self help regarding anxiety
ADHD & Parenting Resources
- Confident Parents Thriving Kids – offers telephone coaching to parents
- Rolling With ADHD – online strategies for parenting a child with ADHD
- ADHD Psycho-Ed Videos by Russell Barkley
After Hours Resources