The Board of Education, School District No. 48 (Sea to Sky) recognizes its responsibility to ensure that students have a safe and positive environment when they are being transported either to or from school or when they are participating in a field trip.
Therefore the Board expects all students to comply with the District and School Codes of Conduct and to have every consideration for the safety of the driver and other passengers while travelling on a district school bus or any other means of transportation approved by the school.
As provision of transportation is an option, the Board considers that bus transportation of students is a privilege. Students who abuse this privilege may have their right to ride the bus suspended or revoked.
The Regulation accompanying this Policy (see below), provides more direction on student transportation and appropriate conduct. The Administrative Procedure provides a list of the Regulations for Conduct on School Buses and a Student Behaviour Report form.
Regulation 503.1 Transportation Conduct
This Regulation provides further direction regarding student conduct while riding on district buses or other approved transportation. The Administrative Procedure provides Regulations for Conduct on School Buses and the Behaviour Report form to be completed when a student’s bus behaviour is inappropriate.
1. The bus driver shall be in full charge of the bus. Their instructions are to be obeyed promptly.
2. Complaints of any nature, with regard to the conduct of school students, must be reported to the principal of the school concerned.
3. When a student’s conduct is not consistent with the Regulations for Conduct on School Buses, the driver shall complete a Student Behaviour Report and register it with the Transportation Supervisor.
The Driver shall be in full charge of the bus. Their instructions are to be obeyed promptly. The Behaviour Report Form is to be completed when a student’s bus behaviour is inappropriate.
BOARDING, DISEMBARKING, AND ROUTES:
1. Students must be at pick-up points before departure time.
2. Students must line up for the bus in an orderly and safe manner.
3. Students may only board and disembark at their designated regular stop, unless they have permission to do otherwise.
4. Disembarking students must move smartly away from the bus.
BEHAVIOUR ON THE BUS:
5. The driver may assign seats. Students must remain in the assigned seat.
6. Students must remain seated and facing forward at all times while on the bus. This means no standing, kneeling, turning around, or changing seats.
7. Students must avoid any action that might distract the driver.
8. Students must remain quiet on the bus. No shouting or loud talking is permitted.
9. Student must not push, shove or otherwise interfere with other students.
10. Students must avoid any actions that are insulting or irritating to others.
11. Students must not put anything (including hands, arms and heads) out of open windows, nor may they call through windows to people outside the bus.
12. Students’ lunches, books, packs, etc. must be held securely. The driver has the right to disallow any object, which they consider dangerous.
13. No eating, smoking or drinking of any kind is allowed on the bus.
14. Windows and emergency doors are to be used only at the direction of the driver.
15. Students must give their correct name and grade immediately upon being asked by the driver. Not doing so is cause for suspension of bus privileges.
PROGRESSIVE DISCIPLINE FOR OFFENDERS:
When the school received the first “PUPIL BEHAVIOUR REPORT” from the driver, the school will then phone and send the “SCHOOL DISCIPLINE REPORT” to the parents. In the event of a very serious offence a suspension from riding the bus will occur with the first offence.
With the second “PUPIL BEHAVIOUR REPORT” from the driver, the school will then phone and send the “SCHOOL DISCIPLINE REPORT” to the parents, and bus privileges may be suspended. The school principal will decide on the duration of the suspension, based on the nature of the incident.
On receipt of any further “PUPIL BEHAVIOUR REPORT” from the driver, the school will then phone and send the “SCHOOL DISCIPLINE REPORT” to the parents, and bus privilege suspensions will be of increasing severity.